Many users complain that Need for Speed crashes at the initial loading screen or during gameplay. In this article, we’ll discuss various troubleshooting techniques to fix the problem.
Change Compatibility Options
Compatibility options include visual theme and desktop composition settings. Need for Speed crashes when unsupported features are enabled. Disable unsupported features and run the game again.
1. Right click Shift.exe file.
2. Select Properties from the context menu.
3. In the Properties dialog click the Compatibility tab.
4. Check-up the boxes labelled “Disable visual themes” and “Disable desktop composition”.
5. Click Apply | OK.
Reinstall Nvidia Physx
Nvidia Physx installation can be corrupt. Uninstall it and install it from its DVD ROM.
1. Click Start | Control Panel.
2. Click Programs | Uninstall a Program.
3. Select “Nvidia Physx” from the list of installed programs.
4. Click “Uninstall” button.
5. Follow the setup wizard and then restart.
6. Insert Nvidia Physx DVD ROM and run the installer program.
Change Graphics Configurations
All graphics configurations are saved in a file named “GraphicsConfig.xml”. This file is stored in the My Documents folder. Open the file, set recommended settings and save the changes.
1. Click Start | My Documents.
2. Double click “NFS Shift” folder.
3. Right click a file named “GraphicsConfig.xml” and select Open With | Notepad.
4. Set the following recommended settings:
5. Disable Windowed Mode by changing its value to “0” (zero)
6. Click File | Save and then exit.
Reset Game Options
Game options contain basic settings, user preferences related to filtering, shadow and texture. Reset them as shown below:
1. Run Need for Speed.
2. Click Options | Graphics.
3. Enable a feature called “V-Sync”
4. Disable “Shadow” feature.
5. Set higher texture details.
6. Save the changes.
Disable Auto Log-In Feature
Do you play the game online? If you don’t play it online, you may have to disable the “Auto Log-In” feature.
1. Click Options | Online.
2. Disable Auto Log-In feature.
3. Save the changes.
Run a Registry Scan
Registry scan identifies and repairs game registry entries. Download a good Registry Cleaner software, full scan the system and repair all errors detected.
Delete Corrupt Data Files
Game data is stored in data files. Your data files can be corrupt. Delete them so that Need for Speed will re-create them again.
1. Double click My Computer desktop icon.
2. Open the following directory:
C:\Users\UserName\Documents\Criterion Games\Need For Speed(TM) Most Wanted
3. Click Edit | Select All.
4. Delete all selected files.
The best way to fix Need for Speed crashes is to use Need for Speed Crash-Fix software. It diagnoses all problems related to game settings, registry entries.